Navigating Community Ownership Event - 16 April 2019
Venue: The Royal Hotel, Argyll Square, Oban, PA34 4BE.
SLE is holding a practical information event for landowners on routes to community ownership, with Gillespie Macandrew LLP and Knight Frank.
The event includes expert advice on the various community right to buy mechanisms; and consider the opportunities and challenges in dealing with a request from a community for a negotiated sale. There will be real life examples of community right to buy, including steps to take if you are considering bringing land to the market and plenty of opportunity to question and discuss.
This is a vital event for those actively involved in Scottish Land management to get a full understanding of some of the key recent changes. This day will give you the opportunity to be informed of the policy and regulatory changes, share ideas, and ask questions of the experts.
10.00 - 10.30 Registration and coffee
10.30 - 10.50 Introduction & Brief overview on types of community right to buy - Jason Rust, Legal Adviser, Scottish Land & Estates
- What is community right to buy?;
- Discussion of the different mechanisms
- A guide to the routes to community right to buy...
10.50 - 11.10: Exploring Abandoned, Neglected or Detrimental Land CRTB - Gavin Mowat, Policy Adviser, Rural Communities, Scottish Land & Estates
- Eligible Land;
- Regulators and restrictions on transfers and dealing;
- Compensation; and
- What does the legislation mean in practice?
11.10 - 11.30 Refreshments
11.30 - 12.00 Advice on Bringing Land forward for Sale and support through the CRTB process: Ran Morgan, MRICS
Partner, Knight Frank & Alan White, Partner, Gillespie Macandrew LLP
- Pre-sale preparation;
- The SLE/CLS protocol and approach to the community body;
- Effect that might have on wider estate merits of making a formal offer to sell the community body;
- Late applications;
- “Challenges” of the legislation;
- Valuation issues and pricing.
12.00 - 12.30 SLE Member Case Study A a real life example of a negotiated community right to buy: David Johnstone, Annandale Estates
- What went well?;
- What lessons to learn for the future?;
- Risks and rewards?
12.30 - 13.00: Expert Panel Discussion
More time to question representatives from SLE, Gillespie Macandrew and Knight Frank, sharing information and bring your own ideas and perspectives on routes to community ownership.