Following an increase in rural crime within Renfrewshire, Scottish Land & Estates has helped to establish a new scheme – Renfrewshire Rural Watch – which is being managed and supported through Elderslie Estates.
Renfrewshire Rural Watch will be an independent group consisting of farmers, land managers and rural businesses keen to share information and deter crime in their area.
This is a new scheme being set up with the backing of Chief Inspector Simon Wright, Area Commander for Renfrewshire.
How will it work:-
- Email alerts from Police Scotland will provide updates on crime trends and areas being targeted.
- Email alerts from members regarding suspicious activity, theft or damage.
- Increased reporting of rural crime and any suspicious activity by calling 101.
- Provide signage for farm gates, steadings and road ends, to deter criminals and advertise that you are part of a ‘rural watch’ area.
- Providing support and information to raise awareness of crime prevention measures (e.g. arranged events with police, security companies; advice on locks; identity marking etc).