Trainee Land Worker 16-19 Only
Job Title: Trainee Land Worker 16-19 Only
Company: Falkland Estate Trust
Wage Details: £5.03 per hour
Shifts: 30 hrs per week including 7 days holiday Monday–Thursday
Duration: Temporary for 13 weeks
Number of Vacancies: 8 (16-19 yrs old)
Closing Date for Applications: 3rd February 2014
About the Fife Youth Job Contract
The Fife Youth Job Contract (FYJC) is the Fife Council response to high levels of unemployment within the 16-24 year old age group. We are seeking to deliver support to help this group gain and sustain employment. Working with employers and Opportunities Fife Partner, we are looking to create additional opportunities for our young people, particularly those who otherwise would not achieve a positive destination.
The 13 week placement will provide an introduction to, and practical work experience of, landscape conservation and forestry. Those who show enthusiasm and commitment may be eligible to apply for a full Modern Apprenticeship in Trees and Timber level 2 which is due to run from the Centre for Stewardship in spring 2014.
What will I be doing?
Assisting with a range of forestry and landscape conservation activities such as:
- Tree planting and forest work
- Clearing and maintaining footpaths and nature trails
- Constructing, repairing and maintaining walls, fences, stiles and gates
- Protecting forests and woodland areas against pests and diseases
- Removing debris and litter
- Some basic training in first aid and health and safety will be provided
What will be expected of you?
- Be open to learning and developing new skills in a forestry and historic landscape environment
- Observe the organisation’s terms and conditions of employment
- Take individual responsibility for own health and safety at work
- Operate in a professional and courteous manner
- Undertake training, including attending external courses, as required
- Standard Grade pass in English and Maths
- Operate in a responsible manner and in accordance with Health and Safety requirements
- Work well within a team and on own
- Be polite, courteous and professional
- An interest in forestry or land conservation as a future career
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Be in good health and able to undertake the often physically challenging activities required of this type of role; for example, manual handling, walking through wooded areas
How to Apply
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. To complete the online application form, no later than 3rd February 2014, please click here.