Scotland’s historic environment makes a significant contribution of the country’s economic output according to the 2012 Scottish Historic Environment Audit published this week.
Some of the SHEA’s key findings are:
- The historic environment directly supports 41,000 FTE jobs, representing 2.5% of all employment
- More than £2.3billion is generated annually in the economy from the sector
- The condition of the country’s A-listed buildings has improved with 8.2% at risk in 2011 compared to 8.7% in 2009
- More that 16million tourists visited historic attractions in 2011, which is just over a third of all visits to all Scottish attractions
- Historic Scotland invested £123million in the historic environment between 2002 and 2012 which assisted repairs worth a total of £563million – benefiting communities across Scotland
Full report - www.heritageaudit.org.uk/sheareport2012.pdf